Castle Hotel Liechtenstein
Hőgyész
In these days, when, due to a steadily accelerating way of life, silence and quietude have been revalued, it counts for a particular value if we can have recreation in a place where, according to archeological findings, our ancestors had liked to stay as well.
We have but a few settlements the name of which means some kind of occupation. The early Hungarian linguistic parallel to our current word „hőgyész”, the word „hölgyész” was by its meaning the name for an occupation similar to fisher („halász”), hunter („vadász”) or fowler („madarász”).
Our word of Finno-Ugrian origin „hölgy” had meant small-size fur animals and it was from this the community has obtained its name. As the fur of ermine could only be worn by the most prominent people, royal and ducal courts kept special ermine hunters, „hőgyész”. The coat of arms of the community retains this heritage to this day.
The settlement Hőgyész, offering multi-colour relaxation and at the same time, quietude, may be found int he section between Tamás and Szekszárd of the highway Nr. 65. The community is surrounded by a peaceful natural environment, with oak and acacia woods including game reservations. The character of the community is accentuated by an ancient park of 10 hectares, under national environment protection, situated int he centre of Hőgyész.
The historical past of Hőgyész, a community in Tolna county, goes back as far as the early age of the Árpád-dinasty. Int he course of history it gets dispopulated on several issues, then, in the 18th century, a new era and development are launched int he life of the steadily growing village, later a rural town, with the immigration of German-speaking population. The estate called Apari is purchased, with the villages and prairies belonging to it, by Claudius Florimundus Mercy, a member of the dukedom of Lothringen. He makes Hőgyész the centre of this estate consisting of five villages and thirty prairies and so the territory takes up development as the Domain of Hőgyész.
The ducal castle hotel
In the 1720s the castle had been built by Count Mercy and was possessed for more than 150 years by the Apponyi family. However, by the marriage of the first-born Apponyi daughter with Frederick Liechtenstein, the estate of Hőgyész went to the Liechtenstein family.
When the Hőgyész estate was taken over by Alfred Liechtenstein, the large castle did not become his property but that of his uncle, Károly II. Apponyi who had estates in Pálfa. But Alfred Liechtenstein did not want or could not take over tha quadrum building of the large castle due to financial problems linked with maintenance.
This ancient building of several stories destined for the officials of prefect and the chancellery was transformed into lodgings. It was then that it obtained the generally known name of the ducal castle.
The castle was inhabited till the end of the second world war, then, with the Russian troops taking charge, the family fled ti Liechtenstein and Germany.
The Liechtenstein Castle can be found int he vicinity of the Castle Hotel Apponyi in a silent environment. Total quietude is ensured by the park before the hotel.
Rooms
Single-bed rooms (3 pcs): 16.000 Ft/per/night
2-bed room (3pcs): 18.000 Ft/per/night
Apartment for 2 persons (2pcs): 28.000 Ft/per/night
The rooms are furnished faitfully to age.
Their equipment: minibar, shower.
The apartment is tastefully furnished, eanates an elegant atmosphere.
Their equipment: bathroom, minibar, TV.
Breakfast may be ordered according to demand.
Children’s preferences: free of charge up to the age of 2 years
Offer for newly-wed: ont he occasion of the unforgettable event we favour our guests with placing champagne and flowers int he room.
Facilities offered:
Wine-shop; card-playing room; organisation of programmes; full-range performance of family and company parties (trainings, language courses) up to 65 persons.
Sight of Hőgyész (Built heritage)
Apponyi Castle
The Baroque castle had been built by Count Mercy around 1760. It came to the Apponyis in 1773. The building with a ground area of closed rectangle has been renewed according to aspects of monument protection – currently it is a four-star castle hotel.
In all the halls and all guest rooms of the castle the original architectural characteristics have been preserved. Ground-floor and basement premises are vaulted, the story premises are of plane ceilings and covered by wooden floors. From the main entrance a wide staircase made of red arble leads to the upper level.
It is a pecliarity that in some ornamentic details of the castle interior free mason motives may be detected: angle meter, rectangle, sword. Not incidentally: Antal György Apponyi was a member of the freemasonic lodge of Vienna.
Piety chapel Holy Trinity and Name of Virgin Mary
The Baroque chapel was built around 1731-1745 in the period of the Mercy counts. The piety chapel Holy Trinity and Name of Virgin Mary, the holy well of Csicsó (Maria Brunnen) has been a place of pilgrimage as early as meory records go.
The picture standing ont he main altar of the chapel – as shown by the large golden heart visible ont he breast of the crowned Madonna – is a copy of the „Mariahilf” of Passau.
As for Csicsó, an inhabited place mentioned as early a sin 1334, only the name has remained after the Turkish occupation. In its place, ont he slope of the Csicsó hills, the shining white chapel can be seen from far away. Count Antal, who had finished its building, was buried here according to his wish and Albert Apponyi and his wife lie here as well.
Roman Catholic church (Apotheosis of the Holy Cross)
Catholic parishioners elevated their church devoted to the apotheosis of the holy cross in 1799 in the late Baroque style. In 1898 it was transformed in an ecclectic style. In its interior, the wall painting from 1801 is Baroque, the furniture classicist.
Synagogue
The first synagogue had been built here as early as before 1760. The rather deteriorated classicist building visible today was erected in 1815. A part of the bricks needed for building was donated by Antal Apponyi.
German Nationality Collection
The German Nationality Collection preserves the remnants of the German population of the ridge Tolnai Hegyhát. Local German costumes are presented and in addition, the scope of subjects on display has recently been extended by furnitures.
Active recreation:
Ponds of the brook Donát (anglers’ place)
Int he picturesque environment, int he valley surrounded by the hills of the ridge „Tolnai Hegyhát”, int he southern outskirts of Hőgyész, there are two pearls, hiding laced int he water of the brook Donát: the angling ponds with a surface of 7 and 9 hectares respectively.
Neither of the pond bottoms is catchy and, as both water areas are taken in by surf, they may be angled from a stage. Carp, pike-perch, amur, pike, bream, crucian and carp-bream live int he waters. The Association of Sport Anglers in Hőgyész has its own anglers’ resting place, ont he shore of the ponds there is drinking water and there are facilities for cooking and setting up tents.
Roaming int he country-side
Gyulaj
Game Reservation for Fallow Deer (int he woods of the Gyulaj Game Reservation established in 1971 there lives the most renowned stock of fallow deer in Europe.)
Kölesd
Castle Jeszenszky (1760)
Tamási
Hunters’ Castle Esterházy, thermal bath, the Gonozdi ponds (anglers’ place), sports and horse-riding grounds, bike tour of the ridge Tolna-Hegyhát.
Accessibility:
The community Hőgyész, at a distance of 160 km from Budapest can be approached ont he highway Nr.65 (towards Szekszárd), by car a ride of two hours approximately. The castle is situated int he community, along the highway Nr.65. Its entrance is indicated b traffic posters.
By car
Budapest 160 km
Vienna 295 km
Szekszárd 30 km
Siófok 60 km
Dombóvár 30 km
By railway
nearest MÁV railway station: Szakály-Hőgyész 3 km
Nearest intercity line station: Dombóvár 30 km
By air
nearest airports: Budapest-Ferihegy: 160 km
Siófok-Kiliti 60 km
Taszár 47 km
Credit/Debit Cards and Vouchers